Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Fun with Fabrics!

Alright, I admit it. I am not the best seamstress in the world. I don't own a sewing machine, but I am handy dandy with a staple gun. That's more my speed I suppose. Sooo, give me some fabric and a full staple gun, and I can go to work.

I recently ordered some new fabric for my hope chest, after the last fabric just bugged me too much. It was too bold and busy for the style of the chest. I replaced it with this sweet pattern I found at fabric.com for $6.98 a yard!




(pardon the Toby bed in the corner, a dog's gotta sleep somewhere, right?)


We have the hope chest in our bedroom now, and the bold turquoise damask print I had planned for the living room no longer worked with the softer and lighter colors in our bedroom. We recently purchased a GIGANTIC California king bed also, and I'm keeping the linens crisp white (easy to bleach and the room feels like a spa retreat now). With such a stark-white/gigantic bed in the room, the hope chest needed to be subdued in a calmer print, hence the cute birdy-flower-swirly fabric choice.

I'm also using this new fabric to cover the glass on our T.V. center/ place where the BF stores his shirts.




I love how it pulls from the blue birdies on the hope chest fabric. I'm obsessed with lattice patterned fabric, and really would love to use Kelly Wearstler's "imperial trellis" fabric for something, but at over $200 a yard, it's just not in the budget right now.




Seriously, who pays that much for fabric? Crazy talk.

I also picked up some new fabric for our two dining room chairs with upholstered seats that I got from Cragislist for $15 a piece a few years back.




The seats are kind of a strange shape though so I am waiting to tackle the project until this weekend. Pillows for our ginormous bed will also happen in the future, once I get past this I-don't-know-how-to-sew speed bump. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment