Wednesday, May 25, 2011

DIY Headboard Inspiration

We recently purchased a mammoth sized California King bed, and it looks oh-so-lonely without a headboard of any kind. I looooove the look of tufted headboards, but there is no way I am spending over a thousand dollars on one. With the help of the BF, who has offered up his knowledge of power tools, we plan on creating our own tufted headboard.

Here's the look I am going for...


This headboard has everything I am looking for in our DIY version. Tufting on the front, a nail head boarder, and the shape is exactly what I imagined as well. Sooo cute. (I also am in love with the sunburst mirror, but that is a whole other subject. Must focus on headboard.) I think I would go for a darker fabric though, more of a deep beige.

I also love the Raleigh headboard by Pottery Barn...


The shape is great, and the nail head border is more subtle when placed around the edges of the headboard. There is also the Georgetown tufted headboard by Pottery Barn...


It is a much simpler shape, so we wouldn't have to make any special cuts when making our own version.

So in summary, we can go simple and only do tufting, only do nail head trim, do neither and have a really pretty shape, or do a combination of all of these ideas.

Breakdown on our DIY version:  The plan is to purchase a large piece of plywood cut to the shape we want, adhere a thick amount of foam batting to it, cover it in fabric, and pull through buttons to pre-drilled holes in the plywood to get the look of tufting. If we choose to do nail head detailing, we'll apply those at the end.

So before I begin, I am on the hunt for the perfect fabric. I want something really durable, almost like a hemp material. I plan on making the headboard with lots and lots of batting to enhance the look of the tufting, and this means we'll need a stronger fabric. I'll start by perusing my favorite website for fabric, for an upholstery grade fabric that meets these requirements. This could actually be the longest part of the process, hahaha. Oy vey, the fabric options always intimidate me!

As the planning stages for this project continue, we are going to estimate the amount of paint needed for our kitchen. We're buying the paint soon, and (fingers crossed) the kitchen will be completed this weekend.

(We have also been tackling our backyard landscaping for the past few weeks, so it looks like I will be painting our kitchen solo while the BF finishes things up outside. I expect to be covered in paint in no time, haha)

No comments:

Post a Comment