Sunday, May 20, 2012

Princess Chair Revamp

I purchased my appropriately named "Princess Chair", aka vanity stool, about 6 years ago from Goodwill. (Why is it called the Princess Chair? Because it's girly and little, and my kitty Muffin likes to sleep underneath it like a little princess). I'm pretty sure it cost $8. I had all the best intentions of updating it eventually, but it got put to the side many many times.  This weekend I finally gave it the attention any nobly named stool deserves.


It started out as this 50-60's era vanity stool. Very gold and glamorous...and dated.


So I gave it the old spray paint and new fabric treatment.


It ended up taking about three coats of spray paint. There were more swirly twirly parts than I anticipated, and the windy conditions also did not help much. I chose a hammered metal spray paint by Rustoleum, in a gray tone. 

Next I recovered the seat in a fun geometric fabric. The blue-gray combo is always a favorite of mine.


I cut the fabric to size, then stapled all the corners first. I pulled the excess fabric into as nice of a pleat as I could, and gave it a few more staples. Square things are much more easy to recover, but luckily the print of the fabric made for a forgiving end result.


Next I reassembled the twisty party, (I didn't mention it twists, that's what makes it soooo fancy), once the base had dried. I decided against the back rest part, it was just too much with the new fabric and now I can use it as a foot stool and a bench. 



I used my MacGyver like thinking and stuck four toothpicks in the fabric so I knew where the screws needed to go. Don't say 80's TV stars never helped the youth of America.

So the end result is pretty awesome, it definitely meshes better with my existing bedroom furniture now. 



Next up is painting our master bedroom! If I can commit to a paint color of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment