Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Thrill of the Chase

I love thrifting, and if there's one rule you must know it's this: if you pass something up at a thrift store, it will positively not be there when you return if you happen to change your mind. This is the predicament I was in this weekend, after going to my favorite Goodwill. I spotted a pretty cool tripod lamp base, but figured since I was already buying another lamp, I would pass up a second.

Then, on a trip to the motherland (Target) I painfully realized the error in my ways. There it was on the shelf, the same lamp base that I had just seen at Goodwill for $9.99 (with a shade to boot), and they were charging $49.99 for it!

Knowing I couldn't return to Goodwill at that moment, I tried to forget the cuteness of the cheap Goodwill lamp. Couldn't do it. I tried going the next day, but alas, it was Easter Sunday and I was a fool if I thought Goodwill would be open.

So, as Monday came, I began to accept the taste of defeat, but figured what the heck, let's swing by Goodwill on my lunch break and see if someone else has taken home the perfect lamp.

TO MY SURPRISE! The lamp was still there, in the same location I left it in. I yoinked it and ran to the cash register, as no doubt the entire store gazed at my purchase with envy.



And Mr. Lamp lived happily ever after, a bargain among bargains, in the perfect spot in my living room.



So, this whole thing makes me think, how cool would it be to meet the people who get rid of all the things I then buy from my local Goodwill? If I could meet the previous owner of Mr. Lamp, I would most likely ask them this question, "Why on earth did you get rid of this prized possession?" This will continue to baffle me.

No comments:

Post a Comment